"

Saturday 30 April 2011

Race 11: Pocklington 160km Challenge, 30/04/2011

This was a sportive rather than a race, We had timing chips but I know it wasn't a race because we stopped for a quick pie half way around. It was the Royal Wedding Weekend so I was wearing my patriotic GB MTBO top and union jack socks.

The town crier shouted a lot and rang his bell and we were off at a cracking pace of around 20mph. The wind was so strong it was ridiculous. I thought this isn't going to last for 100 miles, so after about 15 mins we slowed and waited for Ginnie. I thought maybe we'd catch the rest up again later when they burned out.

It was an interesting route that resembled Mr Messy, I guess that is how you get to do a 160km ride in the wolds! We always seemed to be either 4 miles to Thixendale or 2 miles to Pocklington.. After passing through Thixendale for the 2nd time I began to wonder what was going on. Then we got lost! There was no arrow at a T junction and we (about 15 people) all plumped for the road that went the wrong way. We did few extra miles, realised we'd gone wrong, so made our way over to the 2nd feed station, I couldn't help wondering if the GB MTBO top is actually cursed.. Good job we are getting new ones for the next international race. Better to be safe than sorry!!

At the 1st feed station we were allowed two bars and a fig roll. I was a bit concerned that this would not be
much food for 100 miles, so later on when we passed through Stamford Bridge, I suggested a quick pie stop to top up the tank. Everyone agreed rather quickly I thought. So we ate pies and watched a whole load of people go through.

After 70 miles my legs went tired, I don't know what was wrong with them (probably all that battling against the wind), but it wasn't pleasant and every time we passed the '2 miles to Pocklington' signs and turned the other way, they felt worse! I ate marshmallows and even a gel that we got given and it was fine. I was a bit slow on the climbs towards the end but then with 10 miles to go I got a 2nd wind and rushed (kind of) to the finish.

All in all a pleasant ride in nice sunshine but very windy indeed (the weather not me!)