"

Thursday 7 April 2011

Race 5: middle night, Denmark MTBO camp, 07/04/2011

Night orienteering, who's idea was that?! It was as hard as I suspected! Heading into the forest with a map and compass and about 2 metres of vision, not something any sane person would do..

I was doing surprisingly well, just a few unsure moments, until I messed up at control 17. Then I struggled and was lost and it was so hard to relocate. 24 mins it took to find! Not good but I wasn't going back until I'd done the whole course. Thick trees, thin trees, ponds, marshes, none of it was any help as I really could not see any of it.

I finally found the control and managed to get the last one just as my daddy maxx faded. How long are they supposed to last on full power anyway? Not long enough to get lost in the forest!

An interesting race, not one I'll ever be repeating in a hurry. On the bright side, tomorrows race should seem like a piece of cake after this!