"

Saturday 9 April 2011

Race 7: middle, Denmark MTBO camp, 09/04/2011

I had a good race apart from a nav issue on control 1!!! and a massive confusion at the end. Control 1 wasn't where I thought it should be. I wandered around a bit and found Dan wandering around too. We were going different places though. I made my way to a main track and came at it from the other side and was away.

The rest of the race was OK until the last control. I was cycling properly fast at some points and was getting them with no problems. There was one where I came across one of the fastest girls (don't remember the country now) but she turned down a track where I was going to turn, but then must have got confused as she stopped to look at the map. I knew it was right because I could see it curve round at the end so I went for it and got to the control before her :-) a pretty big deal for me racing against these very fast elites!

There was one control where I had to climb over about 6 trees on their sides. They weren't even marked on the map either. But I jumped over them with my (luckily pretty lightweight) bike and managed not to mess up.

I got to the final control and it was number 100 - the finish! There were 2 controls instead of 1 and no flag too. There was supposed to be one just before so I was a little confused and couldn't punch as I'd not got the last one first.

I actually read the control number on my map as 99, the 1 was obscured and it was printed over a contour so I read the zeros as 9's! So I examined all the tracks around as I thought maybe the centre of the circle was actually not the track I thought it was, but nothing. I had no idea what to do! I looked around a bit more and was at the end if my tether when Alan came by and he got what was going on, there was another finish just up the track, it was my last control!!!! I was so mad with myself, I knew I was in the right place, so wasted all that tine for no reason. Really unfair when I'd actually done well in this one!