"

Saturday 16 April 2011

Race 10: MTBO World Cup Open Elite Middle, Tapolca Hungary

T-1 where's the triangle?!

An OK race, I knew where I was at all times :-) but did nothing spectacular. Oh I did come joint 1st with Stodge on the last control to finish sprint!

It was quite suited to me as there was lots of pedalling between controls, and there wasn't any complicated forest tracks either!

I did a few short cuts for the 1st time (allowed in this race) once I went through some bushes to reach a parallel track in the other side, another time I scaled a cliff, got the control at the top, then slid down the red mud on other side which was pretty much vertical. I got cut on some brambles and my camelbak got snagged on a tree, but all was well.

I passed a fly tipping area and the track I needed was completely covered in litter (lorry loads full!) so it confused me and I took one to the right instead and ended up a lot further on than I wanted to be! I realised when I came across a lake and a water tower, pretty good for establishing my exact position! Probably best as I think going through the rubbish would have been a bit grim! There was glass everywhere too.


Coming in to the last control

It was an hour but it didn't seem anything like that long! My last international event for a while :-)

Finished!