"

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Race 33: Torq12:12, XC, Minely Manor, 28/08/2011

The Torq 12:12 is an endurance event which runs from noon until midnight, as many laps as you can. I was a pair with Emila, we took turns for the whole 12 hours. The course did not play to our strengths, no long climbs, very rooty and potentially very muddy. Tight and twisty in the trees, 8 miles a lap. Should be interesting!

It turns out that it's a crazy idea to do a 12 hour endurance event in a pair the week after the Trans Wales! I felt fine all week, sitting at my desk, but to try and push it was a whole other story..


The first lap was fun, Dean (from the Skedaddle boys team) and I got a good start spot near the front. There were 800 riders in total, not everyone was out at once though. We followed a quad for a lap of the event field before passing the start again and doing a normal lap. This was to string us out a bit before the singletrack. The quad was absolutely flying around the last corner, it looked like great fun! I kept a good position and did a reasonable 1st lap, my legs felt empty but I hoped it was just because they were cold. One very nippy girl passed me, I didn't see any other girls. The lap was busy but good. Emila was waiting when I got back & so I handed her the race band and she was off. The 1st lap took 50 mins I think, including the extra around the field.

Saddle Skedaddlers

The 2nd Lap was a disaster, it rained a lot, which caused a few issues! 1) I couldn't see a single thing, 2) my race tyres slipped & slid all over the place and I just wheel spun up the climbs, 3) I got really bad chain suck with all the grit and mud so had to keep stopping pedalling. So a disaster! I was glad to get to the end.

I had a rush to change my tyres whilst Emila did her lap, Dean helped me, I found some more suitable ones and we set to work. One of them was flat as soon as we'd finished so had to do that one again but couldn't seem to find an inner tube anywhere! Finally got them on and Steve from Skedaddle sorted my chain & gears for me, which was nice of him. I had a couple of minutes to try and eat something. It didn't really happen though as I was cold and feeling a bit sick.

This about sums it up!

So I had another gel & went straight out for lap 3, big mistake, felt rubbish! Tyres were good though, less chain suck too. I had nothing in me at all, everything was a struggle, needed food. Got around and tried to eat but couldn't! Was shivery, light headed and feeling sick. Managed to have some of Emilas homemade soup so that saved me a bit. PhD friends turned up which was really nice :o)
 
Lap 4 & I felt a little stronger after the soup. Lap 5 back to useless but it was more interesting as it was getting dark. Some bits I couldn't see anymore under the trees! Managed to get down a corner of baked potato in the gap then out for lap 6 in the dark. My favourite lap as I like night riding. Felt weak but I enjoyed the 'disco bridge' which was a bridge with DJ pumping tunes. Managed some crisps and half a kit kat before the final lap 7 at 23:15 or something.

I had checked the results and seen that we were in 3rd place with 4th 2 laps behind. I was too weak to consider going for 2nd so decided to take it easy and just make it round without doing any damage. The roots and mud were so slippery. I knew it was all over when I heard fireworks! 00:00 Monday morning. I came over all emotional with the stress on my poor body, partly with relief and partly because I actually had quite a long way left on the slippery roots and mud.

I passed so many people slumped over their handlebars at the side of the track in this race. I asked each one if they were OK and luckily they all said yes. Not sure what I would have done otherwise! I think the mud and rain just made it such hard going.
The event was fun, even though ill (my own fault!) I had a great time! We had prize giving at 01:30, Emila and I got to go on the podium and we won Torq stuff and a nice shiny silver plate. It almost made it worth it :-) having a 3 week rest now..


A collage of proofs taken by Joolze Dymond
These shots & lots more are available to buy at http://www.joolzedymond.com/