"

Saturday 20 August 2011

Race 32: TransWales 7 - Cilycwm - Builth Wells, 20/08/2011

It was raining when we set out for the final day of the Trans Wales. I was really rather tired after 7 days of biking and the tiredness, mud and rain got the better of me this morning. I was really annoyed for the first hour or two! I was climbing up wet muddy mountains grumbling away and even walked down a most excellent steep descent as I couldn't see a thing with all the rain on my glasses. Tried taking them off but the trail just looked like one of those photos where they shoot the rider and pan the camera so the background is all streaky. Anyway, the grumbling passed and the rain eased and we got to the lunch stop, which I was very much looking forward to. It was rubbish! Rainy and a million midgies! We left as quickly as we could and after a push up a vertical track and  nice descent on the other side it was road all the way back. I was fully cheered up and it was a bit strange climbing up the driveway in Builth Wells to the finishing Gore Bikewear arch for the last time. I didn't want it to end then!

The last special stage was a climb up into the woods, a few twists around the trees and then a fast descent down a grassy field. We both felt completely trashed and wondered how we'd get up the climb. The answer for me laid in a banoffee Torq gel, they really are magic! We weren't allowed to start together so I went just in front of Lisa, my legs were fine on the climb (tired obviously but not too painful). I caught the bloke that set off in front of me, but I wheel span on a log inset across the track and he got in front again - it was quite cool because I only did 1 extra pedal stroke but it was enough for him to get the lead back. I followed him down the other side and it was fun to have someone to chase after. I didn't do a particularly good special stage but it was enough to get 2nd place and we ended up 2nd on the final podium and received a nice lot of Gore bikewear vouchers, which is brilliant as I am very much a fan of their clothes.


Poised on the starting line for the final special stage
 A most excellent week, made all the more exciting as we were chasing the Scottish girls. The highlight for me was the Climax trail, I really found that stage amazing, it was our one chance as it was the only stage without climbing, I was nervous that it was too much pressure but we were at our best when we needed to be and the leaders jerseys were completely unexpected. The whole atmosphere of the Trans Wales event is brilliant, it's hard work but it is totally worth it!

Guest blog from Lisa:
Today was wet, very wet! But cannot complain too much as it has been a very dry un-welsh-like week! Tents down for the final time in the rain and first time grumpy team mate due to spectacle-rain-vision issues! Seems coronation chicken sandwiches are the healthier version of happy drugs for her. Sad to be on the last day, but was very pleased to see the Gore finishing arch for the final time. Very sore knees and achy legs did the special stage with barely enough oomph to get though the last ascent. Sweeping grass downhill to get my finishers tshirt and can of 7up! Last podiums then a feed up and the drive home. Looking forward to crisp sheets tonight :-)


Lisa on the final special stage


The start / finish arch
The final podium





Day 7: Cilycwm - Builth
6th Special Stage
Route Distance: 62km
At the very end!
Total Ascent: 1650m
Descent: Cefndyrys Woods 2km
Total Descent: 1530m 
Ascent/Descent: 70m