"

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Race 34: NYMBO MTBO Score, Dalby Forest, 17/09/2011

This race was quite eventful, it resulted in a trip to casualty! I hadn't done a NYMBO MTBO score since March so was a bit rusty at first, as was Dean, my mixed pair, because he hadn't done one before. I changed my chain in the morning and stupidly threw the old one away. When I got on my bike I got chain suck on the small ring just riding out of the car park! I got to work with the file but the teeth weren't really very hooked so it didn't make any difference. It was big ring for the whole race for me today!

We paused at the start to find a nice loop but missed a 20 pointer early on due to rubbish route choice. After that we found our stride and the route we took was spot on. We just didn't have time to get two 15 pointers at the end, which was a nuisance. We did rack up the points very quickly though and ended up with 435, my highest score ever! It was quite an easy course though I think because Andy Conn cleaned up (525 points).

On one of the climbs Dean was going up on his back wheel faster than I was going up with both my wheels! But he fell out of the back door and landed with a thud on a stony firetrack. I could see a red sticky mess on the back of his rather posh new looking Assos shorts. He didn't pause, simply carried on but I could see the area growing and it turned out that there was an inch long, pretty deep gash, which we had to go get stitched up afterwards!

The route is clockwise in blue