"

Friday 19 August 2011

Race 31: TransWales 6 - Cymystwyth - Cilycwm, 19/08/2011

Today was my favourite stage of all, the one with all the river crossings. My legs felt good after the massage I did on them last night. We spent much of the day in knee deep water. Great fun & it was a nice warm day so we didn't even get cold. We were back well within the time limit, which was good because last year we were late on this day!



It started raining when we got back and it continued for the special stage, which was a shame as I have to wear my normal glasses at night. We were just in time to get up on the ramp and there was a proper count down as we all had start times for this one.

I pedalled like crazy off the ramp and into the darkness. I could see Lisas light behind me and that was the only thing I had to try and beat because there was nothing else to see and nobody to catch. I began to see the 30 sec man in front so made up the difference and passed him, but not until the top of the fire road climb. It was Tim & he had blue flashy spokeys on his back wheel :-)

I passed another 3 people on the single track climb and they all moved aside without me even asking! Then it was the descent and I went way too fast for what I could see, I got to a big drop off which confused me as I didn't remember anything like that last time. by the time I'd finished thinking that I hadn't noticed the sharp left and flew off the top into the brambles. I had to scramble back up onto the track and the medics were all shouting as they heard my scream. I passed them though and said thank you I was fine.

I took it a lot slower after that. One bloke caught me back up so I said to overtake and then I followed him down. It was much easier that way because you could see where the track was going next.

When I finished I looked down and saw my leg was all cut from the brambles. Scottish girl number 2 said she had literally just got back so I would have caught her if I hadn't fallen (they started before us as it goes in time order, fastest first).

The other Scottish girl got a puncture! We saw her walking back down the climb when I was going up. But they let her FIX IT AND START AGAIN!!!! What is that about?!!!! Not happy at all..... That has robbed us of the stage and the overall win.


  

Guest blog from Lisa:

The most coolest day so far by a long way, the mass started off from the campsite unfortunately taking a wrong turn and flocking like sheep up a narrow singletrack road to a house. An about turn following shouts of 'has anyone seen an arrow' found 200+ riders jossling for a line as all needed to pile over a small stile. Most amusing and confusing! On to the beautiful 'seven rivers valley', can they not count - we gave up at 15. Rolling tussocky grass hills leading to narrow cliff edge singletrack, an unfortunately the female rider in front of us (out of sight) did not take heed of the caution sign - we found her in amongst the weeds at the bottom of the clif having slipped down a small landside! She seemed OK.




Back in time for a big dinner and a lay down before the night stage. Left it a bit fine and on arrival at the night stage start was only time for a quick faff and onto the starting ramp minus a gel! Thankfully missed the sounds of a 'screaming Steph' and finished my night stage with no incidents (but still gutted that puncture wasn't classed as a 'mechanical'). Fabulous evening finished with a burger in the cow shed. And I'd like to point out I did shower... Unlike some...

News update:

Foiled again by the Scottish hill climbers!!



Day 6: Cymystwyth - Cilycwm
5th Special Stage
Route Distance: 75km
EXPOSURE DIABLO Night Stage
Total Ascent: 2200m
Loop: Cwm Rhaiadr 6km
Total Descent: 2300m
Ascent/Descent: 260m