"

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Race 29: TransWales 4 - Llanidloes - Machynlleth, 17/08/2011

Today was the best ever! It was sunny and warm and we were on fire! Actually, when I woke up I wondered how I'd possibly get through another day. But it was most excellent because although we did the most miles so far and the most climbing, it was by far the easiest day. Mostly road and fireroads. With a couple of really technical bits and just one grassy climb.

The special stage was at 70km and it was brilliant!! I couldn't believe it when I saw the two Scottish girls lining up to do it. I squeezed behind them and asked the starting man to start me after 45 secs rather than the usual 30. As they are leading by 43 secs, all I had to do was catch them for a 2 sec lead :-)

The climax trail was way longer than I remembered. The start is really pedally too. I pedalled like crazy and caught sight of her on the rocks. I was gaining quite quickly.

Last year I scared myself in this race and vowed to never cycle that fast again.. But in the moment I seemed to forget and just didn't brake. It's funny how that happens only in a race whilst under pressure like that!

I was behind the Scottish girl and she wasn't letting me past. I was stuck for what seemed like ages and then spotted an opportunity and went off piste around a tree, one leg up at 90 degrees for balance screaming as I thought I was a gonner! I made it on to the trail in front of her and floored it. I did slow down for the corner where I went off the cliff last year. I almost caught the other Scottish girl but not quite. It seemed like ages before the one I did overtake got in.

Lisa seemed to take forever to get in and I thought we'd lost it but it turned out she started a whole minute behind me so that made me very happy!

I think we won the stage, unless one of the other teams turn out to be deamon descenders. There could be some new teams as the 2nd mini trans Wales started today. I cannot call it on the leaders jersey but I have everything crossed!!!




Guest blog from Lisa:

Fully agree with Miss Fountain, a brilliant day with the miles passing by with only the odd twinge or three of pain :) A cold start (hats on at the campsite in the morning and armwarmers to start), ending in a wonderful sunny afternoon.

Fantastic scenery today, plus 'the slab' which Steph fell on last year (greasy and steep!) which we walked today, watched by the field ambulance crew... But 'gramps' -74 year old - did it! Admittedly some of it sideways but all hail :) Special stage was excellent! The starter-man wouldn't let me ride down on the tail of Steph so just got to wait now and see how I did - loved it :))))

News Update:


We won! Got the stage and also the leaders jerseys! We made up the 43 secs and now have 21 secs in the bank :-)


Day 4: Llanidloes - Machynlleth
3rd Special Stage
Route Distance: 84km
Distance from start: 69km
Total Ascent: 2260m
Descent: Climax Trail 6km
Total Descent: 2440m
Descent: 290m