"

Monday 15 August 2011

Race 27: TransWales 2 - Knighton - Clun, 15/08/2011

A rather shaky start as I laid awake all night unable to sleep! I tried counting sheep but after visualising the 200th jump over the fence I gave up.. So completely shattered I lined up with everyone else and we began day 2.

The special stage was supposed to be 20km in but we came across it at just 8 miles. It was an interesting one as it had a steep technical descent full of tight berms, roots & jumps. I didn't do so well on it, didn't really get any flow and then got trapped behind a man who managed to take up the whole track and I couldn't get around him. In the end I went around a tree off the track to get past. Most odd he wouldn't move aside. After that it was a level fireroad then a climb, that part was fine with lots of room for overtaking.

The rest of the day passed without incident and it seemed a lot easier today. Probably because two of the climbs were on road rather than boggy wet grass! We met Mr Gore Bike Wear at the last food stop and he rode back with us, a nice tow home :-)

Tomorrow there is no special stage so all we have to do is get back within the time limit. I'm taking Nytol tonight! And it's raining..





Guest blogger Lisa:
Hmm Steph failed to mention the 'climb out' of the special stage in true colours; 'horrendous' would cover it for me! The downhill was great, tho I did need to stop and realign on one tight bend as I overshot! For once seeing Steph closer than before on the climb out I was filled with hope that I had much improved, to learn that it was due to above said man explained it! The climb that went forever! Grr! Sure it was longer than the down (which may help keep us off 1st on the podium as those Scottish ladies are climbers!!), a short flat and then up up, a corner, and up up up oh and more of it - some encouragement though from those finished and whizzing down, and another day of instant collapse once over the finishing mat and a feeling of overwhelming sickness. MmM nice... Rest of the day mostly sunny and fairly pleasant post 10hrs sleep for me ;)

Results are in, the Scottish pair beat us by 13 secs! We'll have them on Wednesday :-)



Day 2: Knighton - Clun
2nd Special Stage
Route Distance: 84km
Distance from start: 18km
Total Ascent: 2500m
Loop Bucknell Wood 5km
Total Descent: 2500m
Ascent / Descent: 250m