"

Sunday 19 June 2011

Race 18: MTBO Long, Rattvick, Sweden 19/06/2011

A much better day, it wasn't raining! I got back almost as clean as I set off so much happier, also I could see which was a bonus!

I was 2nd starter, Charlie had the same start time too, of course I let her go in front through the gate as she was going for world masters. I wasn't as nervous today, didn't really get the dry mouth thing like I had yesterday. The map fit on my new big ass map board too so no re-folding required.

The route to number 1 was track central but it was surprisingly easy when I focussed, it was sandy and there were lots of steep ups and downs. To number 2 I had to descend all the way to the river, past a campsite and up the other side, so far so good. I saw a control and glanced at the number thinking it was way too soon to be mine. 30 secs later I looked at the map again and I could have sworn I read number 44, so I spun around and dashed back - it was my control!

I then spent probably a minute plotting my way to number 3, there was no direct route so I could do a big loop left or a big loop right, neither way was a nice main single track. I plumped for right as it looked marginally shorter, so it was back down to the campsite and up the other side again. It seemed to take ages to get there. I met Charlie coming out as I went in, she'd chosen the left loopy way.

Out of number 3 I was looking at the lake below and it didn't look like the right shape. Then there was a lake on the other side too and I knew that was wrong. I'd not made a turning and was about 1cm from going off the edge of the map! The junction was only a moment behind me though so not a big mistake.

The rest went without incident, until the end, which got very complicated so I slowed right down and made sure I took all the right turns through the mass of tracks. The commentator was very loud too so I didn't want to accidentally pop out and look all lost in front of everyone! All was well and I got the last two and the finish OK.

I came 6th, beat the Russian but it was a different one to yesterday. Charlie came 2nd and got on the podium again :-)



My route where red is stationary and green is fast