"

Sunday 5 June 2011

Race 16: Brownbacks XC, Lee Quarry, 05/06/2011


I was surprised at how technical this course was, rocky with some very steep loose climbs, some pretty serious cliff edges and a couple of steep and rocky descents, also some pump ramps and table tops. There was no time for resting, actually, I tell a lie, there was a 10 sec flat bit after a skinny rock bridge and before a steep climb. The other bits that might have been slightly restful were so windy that it was a challenge just to pedal!


The racing (top) category for both boys and girls set off at the same time. I had my eye on 3 girls, one had an assistant holding her bike and giving her bottles and things (she ended up winning), one had an England sticker and name on her bike, the other was in some team kit or other and looked pretty racy. Debs pointed out another girl who was towards the back, she was in baggies with an orange 5 and Debs reckoned she might win and that she would leave it until late.



The start was pretty harsh, we were on a loose fire road that must have been about an 8% climb. When the whistle blew I flew off with everyone else as it went to single track straight after the climb so I thought a good start was important. It was horrendous, I was nearly sick! From resting to max heart rate in 5 seconds!!



I thought my start was pretty rubbish, but actually I was in 3rd position, in front of Miss England and Miss baggy shorts. There were so many blokes around me that it was impossible to tell. I didn't pass the other two girls. Lots of boys passed me, it was a nuisance when they came barrelling up behind me on the single track along the cliff edge. I stopped a couple of times to let them past but actually why did I do that, I was in a podium position and they probably were not!

At the end of the 2nd to last lap, as Debs had predicted, Miss Baggy shorts passed me! I stuck with her for a while but didn't have enough to get back past and annoyingly she finally pulled away. I came 4th. 1.5 hours of full on concentration and leg screaming climbs!

Provided by Clear-Shot Photography

Provided by Clear-Shot Photography