"

Sunday 19 June 2011

Race 17: MTBO Middle Rattvik, Sweden, 18/06/2011

It was spitting when I got my map and then it started raining really heavily as I passed the start triangle. My glasses steamed up and I couldn't see a thing! It was the first time it's happened on an MTBO. Luckily I hadn't done my bib shorts up so I could use the bib part as a glasses wipe. Although it made it all smeary, at least I could kind of see..

I messed up number 1, getting confused as number 6 was in the way! But I sorted myself out and didn't do anything else bad for the rest of the race. I wasn't fast, as I was being very careful, stopping to check at the complicated junctions. So no huge time losses but quite a few small stops. It was quite hard to navigate through the tricky bits on the move because of the rain and the slippery ground. Some bits were really sandy, very hard going. Also I went through a stream twice on an in and out control.

I passed Ifor, John R and Andy C coming different ways, it was nice to see them as I was completely on my own for the whole race. I have no idea where all the others in my class were!
I ended up coming 6th, 2 mins behind Olga the Russian. She keeps beating me, my new target is to beat her in a race, I'll try my hardest tomorrow in the long.

Today Charlie came first so she retains her title as World Masters Champion!!!

The last control


Me, Steve and Beth just before our first race

My route where red is stationary and green is fast