"

Thursday 31 May 2012

Race 15: 10 Mile Roadie Time Trial, Sheriff Hutton, 31/05/2012

This was my first attempt at a roadie time trial. It was a hilly 10 mile circuit from Sheriff Hutton, near York, up Bulmer Bank, to Terrington Bank and back. When I arrived I found it quite funny that there were people with pointy hats and others warming up on turbo trainers on the grass verge. I wasn't expecting the local cycling clubs race to be so serious!

I was starter number 25 of 28 as I arrived at the time on the sheet and it turns out other people arrived 40 mins early to get a good spot! Everyone was cycling around warming up so I did too. I did the climb up to Sheriff Hutton and then wandered off down the back road to nip to the loo in a field. Big mistake! I forgot about the roadie cleats. I tried to get back on the bike and the cleats were completely full of mud (the field had been ploughed). I had a couple of mins to my start time and I couldn't get clipped in! I zoomed back to the start area and one of the other later starters kindly fixed one shoe whilst I did the other and we cleared out all the mud with keys. Oops.


Similar!
 So I made it to the line all clipped in and was amused that at 30 secs to go I had to get clipped in whilst someone held me upright, then I got a push off when it was time to go. Probably a bit of overkill for me I thought!

The first descent was fine, I got to 38mph so happy with that, the 30% climb up Bulmer Bank was fine too until the man behind overtook me! I thought that was a little early to be overtaken, after about 5 mins! But it was a fast bloke (Jamie Sharp) who apparently wins every time trial, including this one, so that was fine. I have to say, he climbed the hill like it wasn't there, I was puffing and panting and heaving my way up and he danced past me like it was flat! I thought I was done with the climbing but it turns out that it's a climb all the way to Terrington, that was only the start of it. I wasn't happy about that but settled down and wasn't too shabby. I could see my man in front and I was gaining on him. The big descent down Terrington bank was pretty fast, max speed was 45mph, the flat until the hilltop finish was OK for me too. The hilltop finish was uncomfortable but I made it up there and was glad that it was over!


Summary
Distance:10.76 mi
Time:34:00 mins
Avg Speed:
Max Speed:
18.99 mph
45 mph
Avg Cadence:76 rpm
Max Cadence:130 rpm
Avg HR:
Max HR:
178 bpm
210 bpm