"

Thursday 24 May 2012

Race 13: Etape Du Dales, Road Sportive, 20/05/2012

This is a big ride at 110 miles with 10,000 ft climbing. I haven't done any big road rides this year so wondered how much this would hurt! I remember last year when it was raining and freezing cold and I got plastic bags from the food stations and wore them as gloves and socks. So this year I came prepared, with hand and feet disposable warmers, arms and knee warmers, gillet, raincoat, full fingered gloves etc. And it was boiling! I had nowhere to put all my clothes. The climb up to Tan Hill was very sunny and warm. I couldn't fit everything in my pockets so wore my knee and arm warmers very stylishly around my ankles and wrists.

The first 50 miles I wondered what was wrong because I had zero get up and go. Miles 50 - 70 and my eyes kept closing like when you are really tired driving along a motorway. So I realised what the problem was, a severe lack of sleep was to blame. Gill gave me a Torq Banoffee guana gel and I drank Emerge (a still isotonic drink with vitamin B in) at the next food stop. 10 mins later I was properly perked up! I'm getting some of that drink in for next time I'm suffering.

The last 40 miles were much more pleasant. It is a charity ride and there are four food stops, which I very much enjoyed. Cakes, sandwiches and a cup of tea at Tan Hill was my highlight. The company was most excellent too. And the nice scenery of the Dales, because we were ambling along I got a lot of time to have a look and it really is beautiful.