"

Sunday 6 May 2012

Race 11: MTBO World Cup, Middle Race, Czech Republic, 06/05/2012

Today's world cup race could well of been my hardest from a navigation point of view. The 1st half was an absolute nightmare! I spent it feeling a little bit confused. I never got any flow, there were lots of dotty tracks that I could only see as a blur of dots when I was cycling along. I was glad to see that it wasn't just me, there were plenty of elite girls carrying their bikes to the correct tracks.

A weird thing happened at the start, I couldn't see the track in front of the start triangle on the map. I aligned the map to north but it wasn't there, I checked a few more times and then it was time to go so I went left as I'd seen the other girls all go that way. I was all confused though and it took me a couple of minutes to work out what was going on. It turned out that my compass was almost 90 degrees out on the start! We later worked out it's because of my big watch right next to it. Never wearing that watch again! What a nightmare..
The riding was pretty good, we went down a downhill track for part of it! I did one of the smaller jumps by accident but took the chicken run around the other obstacles!


This race tested my navigation skills and with all the elite riders around me for extra pressure it made it quite hard! I did OK though apart from the strange thing at the start and one other control where I couldn't see the way so I changed and went around a different way. A bit more foot-o (as we don't have many MTBO races around York) and I'll be climbing the leader board a bit more I think :-)