"

Sunday 26 August 2012

Race 26: World Championships MTBO long, Hungary, 25/08/2012

This was my best race ever! I was in the A final so it was the top 60 women competing. The start was a bit strange because you had to go up 5 mins before to cycle around the corner for 2 mins before reaching the actual start. They said we would get two A3 maps and pick up a 3rd near the end. I only got given 1 map so I was a bit concerned I was missing one! The people didn't speak English. So off I went, hoping that the 2nd & 3rd maps were out there somewhere!

I'd poured 2.5 litres water over me at the start, that seemed to keep me cool enough as it was windy today, and only 32 degrees! It started off in the forest too so that was nice. All the forest controls went OK. I fought my way through some undergrowth to get to the railway tunnel, a branch ripped my shorts and cut my leg.

I met Sue, an American, at the butterfly control. We all had the same control three times with two different loops coming from it (to prevent following). I met her on my 2nd loop, she was on hers too, she'd been struggling to find the control we visited three times so I managed to make up 6 mins on her. It meant we were going the same way though. We did the rest of the course together. Well not together really because we'd go different ways to some controls and we always seemed to arrive at the same time!

We got to the map exchange together and had a larger urban map to get us to the finish in the town square. Thank goodness there were only two maps! I enjoyed the run in, it was a nice route by the river. Just near the end Sue got a puncture! I gave her my gas as she only had a pump and she was only 2 mins behind at the finish.

Today was forest, then open ground, then urban. The open was some sort of military place and it was fine. Not like the races we've been having! It was a big climb to the last control, my lungs were screaming. I rounded the corner and sprinted for all I was worth to the finish. And it worked, today I was the fastest girl in the world again for the final sprint! I got beaten by just 4 boys too!! I did 16 secs, the world champion bloke did 14 and three other blokes did 15. I came 53rd in the race. 53 / 74 at world championship level is my best result so far!!

I am most proud of my sprinting, I cannot believe that I can sprint to the line faster than any other girl in the world championships!!!

Last control of my world championships:


Me and Sue:



Today Charlie got gold in the W50 world championships:


and Andy Conn got bronze in the M40 world championships:


Team GB in our banquet outfits: