"

Sunday 24 July 2011

Race 24: Brownbacks Round 2, Lee Quarry, 27/07/2011

This was the hardest XC race I have done so far, the course was harder than the one for round 1 but luckily I felt a lot better this time. It was in the same place, Lee Quarry, with the same start position and this time a 0.6 mile climb of 225ft straight off the blocks! I was right on the front row for the start. I felt a bit bad for the boys behind me but I couldn't get through and it's quite wide so they could get around..

I raced up the climb, trying to keep up with the fast boys and half killed myself in the process. I didn't think there were any girls in front of me but it's hard to tell as there were so many on the start line. I was actually leading for the 1st lap. I expected girls to come past at any minute but they didn't come. I slowed a bit and let my heart & lungs recover slightly, after that uphill sprint start, before pushing on. It was necessary as I wouldn't of made the 1.5 hours otherwise. There was literally no rest sections. Lots of really short sharp (practically vertical) climbs, fine for lap 1 but increasingly annoying and draining as time went on!

There were a couple of nice sharp descents, one I couldn't see where to go, the track just stopped and then I realised you actually went over the edge and that part literally was vertical! It was a surprise on the first lap. After that it was up, up and up again. One big rocky climb that lots of people walked, all the others short and sharp.

My legs felt great today, maybe due to the new Torq nutrition program? Not sure but it was my lungs and heart that were holding me back for a change! Maybe I got slightly unfit from not many miles in the last few months..

Anyway, a speedy girl in white and red came past & I lost her on lap 2 I think. I thought that was it but a couple of laps later I saw her again, then again on the following lap. I was gaining. Another lap, which I thought was my worst, I gained loads and got so we were on the same climb. The red & white girl was obviously tired as she was running up the climbs. I was almost empty and just couldn't catch her in time, I needed 1 more lap.

I thought I came 2nd but during prize giving it turned out she is TWENTY YEARS YOUNGER than me!!! I got beaten by a child! (A very fast one that is surely going places). But that meant I'd won the 'Racing Divas' (adult girls!) category. My first ever solo XC win. It was quite a climb up to that top step of the podium carrying the super cool massive rock / hope disk brake trophy that I thought I could only dream of! On top of that I received £25 for fastest lap and £100 for the win. It made the 1.5 hours of pain and suffering all worthwhile  :-) :-) :-)




Photos provided by Yorkshire Gallery