"

Friday 1 July 2011

Race 21: Bearded Man stage 1: 10km XC TT, Brecon, 01/07/2011

The Bearded Man is a 3 day stage race in the Brecon Beacons, which starts with a 10km time trial and then there are two 75km XC races over the weekend. The time trial was about 6 miles from the tent village so that was a good warm up as I was a little bleary eyed after the long drive down.


I am in a team with Anne Woods. In this event you have to stick together as it's the slowest persons time that counts. Today was much more suited to me than the other two days and Anne is the other way around, she is great at endurance where as I tend to lose the will half way around!

Sometimes I can get a massive high for short races, that makes my legs go and my lungs scream. It's a sugar / adrenalin high that I don't think I've properly experienced this season yet. It's interesting because Anne is diabetic so under the same conditions her legs will not work at all. It's the complete opposite for us.

The start was a big fire road climb all the way to the top. I zoomed off on my sugar high and Anne chased with her non working legs. I realised and held back and when we got to the top there was some nice single track in the trees. There were photographers all over the place! They hopefully got some nice Skedaddle shots of us. We had to do two laps and they'd cut some bits out as they were too water logged. It was a lovely sunny evening and it was a nice time trial course. Nothing technical, one drop where the cameraman nearly got run over each time, and an off camber rooty corner that I messed up both times! that was it. Feeling good but a little apprehensive about the distance in the next two races. Haven't ridden that far on a MTB this year yet!

 
The drop